View Single Post
Old 9th June 2019, 11:53   #1716  |  Link
vidschlub

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdie View Post
At this time shouldn't we consider AV1 a failure and move on to newer codecs, e.g AV2?
  • It doesn't have fast enough decoders to decode on mobile at 1080p on most devices (>80%).
  • It still doesn't have encoders which are anywhere fast enough to be usable by mere mortals.
  • Its hardware adoption is not there - the spec was finalized almost half a year ago, and AV1 is nowhere to be seen in Zen 2.0 (Ryzen 3000), Radeon RDNA 5700 or Intel Ice Lake. No word on its decoding acceleration even in the recently announced Arm's Cortex-A77/Mali-G77.

I find your comment extremely surprising considering your join date of 2006. I would expect such a comment from a newbie.

Unless the entirety of the developer and encoding community are lying to me, what is occurring with AV1 is absolutely par the norm for new codecs.
265 is still a dog to encode without a reasonable monster of a PC. How will an even more compressed, newer codec, that's open (and therefore can't break terrible patents) begin to compete only 6 months in?

The only thing that AV1 has going for it, is it's openness and the hope that /so many players/ throwing themselves at the problem, will slowly address the performance issues.

None the less, it's been 6 months. You're not going to see this getting hardware acceleration for at least 6 more months on any devices.

I suspect it'll be ubiquitous at best case scenario of 3 years. (more experienced members, welcome to correct me)
vidschlub is offline   Reply With Quote