View Single Post
Old 8th February 2002, 02:53   #12  |  Link
jeffnoone

not sure if there is a guide, but the main points are:

File open: load your wav file (48kHZ - use SoundForge or equivalnet to change if necessary), I dont think 44kHZ will work properly for DVD intent)
You can also load a .ac3 file but beware it will decode all 6 channels into 6 different uncompressed wav files as an interim and slow step - you must have 10-12 GB free on HD to do this.
Why would you want to open an .ac3? - in this context to reduce to 224kbps from the DVD standard 448 - this saves space with reasonble quality - this procedure was in vogue when using ReMPEG to transcode onto 2-3 CD's. I would just use the 448 ac3 you rip from DVD and not bother with this. You could also downmix a 5:1 AC3 to a 2:0 AC3 if you wished

Encode settings: the main settings here are data rate (448 is standard, but 224 accepted in DVDMaestro)
The audio coding mode would be set based on how many wav input files you have - a standard wav file will be split by the program into right and left stereo, so I would select 2/0 L/R here
If you only have 2 inputs (one standardstereo wav file), forcnig it to produce 3/2 AC3 either won't work, or won't give you true directional 5:1

Dolby Surround Mode: I change this to Dolby Surround Encoded

Other settings I leave at default. Sample rate must be 48 for DVD

Then you press the red round button to encode, red triangle to preview
Pick a output name, and sit back for a while (CPU intensive)

MAke sure you set temp directory under 'Preferences" to a drive with lots of space
Jeff
jeffnoone is offline   Reply With Quote