View Single Post
Old 22nd November 2011, 14:27   #10  |  Link
2Bdecided

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_ View Post
This may be of no issue to you with this source, but for example HD h264AVC from my Canon DSLR is full luma and BT601 color matrix so transcoding it to HuffyUV or utcodec is not lossless. :-)
One of us is confused, and I'm not sure it's me The lossless codec doesn't care about the colour matrix or the range - it's lossless.

If that's not what you're seeing, you must have been forcing a colour conversion (RGB<>YUV/YV12) at the input or output of the codec - and such colour conversions are never lossless, and never needed for lagarith. (For HuffYUV you can do a YUV<>YV12 lossless conversion, but it's easy to do it with loss if you're not careful.)

Most AVI codecs (including Lagarith) don't keep much metadata - aspect ratio, colour matrix, interlacing indication etc are all lost. You have to remember them yourself The same info is lost through AVIsynth, so I think it's misleading to express concern about it specifically wrt lossless codecs in the AVIsynth forum - even if the output codec does support these things, you'll have to enter them manually when processing through AVIsynth.

Cheers,
David.
2Bdecided is offline   Reply With Quote