View Single Post
Old 9th April 2004, 12:22   #22  |  Link
SoonUDie

Quote:
Originally posted by morsa
Well, somebody tell me I'm terribly wrong, please.
I guess, seeing that a good motion estimation is on its way, that in a relative near future we will have the possibility of making a good frame synthesizer.Is it OK?
If what you mean is that we'll be able to accurately interpolate any framerate, then yes... and no. I believe some very good solutions already exist... however, they're many hundreds of dollars. The key is to relatively accurately find motion vectors for every pixel in the image.

However, while we could interpolate something like a 24FPS movie to 60FPS, how much do we really gain? We're not really re-creating the motion here... it's like taking an antiderivative - you have a +c floating around, and we don't know what that is.

For example, take the motion of a really fast moving ball. If we capture it at 30fps, it'll be a blur. At 60fps, it will be more like a ball, but still blurry. At 120fps, it'll look even more like a ball. Now let's say we interpolate that 30fps video up to 120fps. It won't look like a ball - you'll still have the blury 30fps picture - but it'll move 4x smoother: it'll traverse only 1/4 the pixels per frame as it did before.

I'd still like to see it happen, though, and preferably in real time - we live in a world where 60p is finally becoming the standard, and I'm starting to get tired of 24fps...

Last edited by SoonUDie; 9th April 2004 at 12:25.
SoonUDie is offline   Reply With Quote