View Single Post
Old 4th August 2016, 02:41   #7  |  Link
YxP

I do like to tweak and play around from time to time, but my go to default settings for my trusty warhorse AMD HD7850 are:

- Both artifact removals on, debanding settings both low. My old Samsung can do 4:4:4 and I'm guessing it has a lot to do why I very rarely notice any banding. I could probably live without debanding altogether.
- No image enhancements
- Chroma and luma both lanczos 4 with anti ringing on. I sometimes use jinc with animated content, but honestly I have hard time seeing the difference with moving live-action.
- Image doubling and quadrupling sxbr with anti-bloating 50. I ended up using this when watching animated stuff and trying to get as close to NNEDI3 64.
- No upscaling refinement. Lanczos 4 is already quite sharp, so I rarely need the picture be even sharper. I'd most likely use SuperRes@2 for almost all content to be honest, but the fan on my GPU is noisy so I leave it off by default. Mostly on when watching with friends or during other not-so - quiet situations.
- Ordered dithering with colored noise on. Madshi did a fantastic job with ED's, but since OD is veeeery close in quality, I just choose the road of less noise.

Now, the card could be pushed way higher and if I didn't care about the fan the main things I'd change are SR on and lancoz -> jinc. NNEDI seems to be the best for animated content, but to be honest sxbr+SR is as good as NNEDI.

This all coming from a guy whose 40" TV is about 3m away and uses 3DLut. At this distance sharpening has the greatest visible effect on most cases. Or perhaps debanding, if your TV doesn't do 4:4:4.

Remember, finding the best settings for your particular situation shouldn't be a frustrating ordeal, but a fun and a constructive nerd moment. I learned a shit ton of stuff while googling things like chroma subsampling. It boggles the mind how many users basically think it's a video game and maxing everything = best without giving it a second thought.
YxP is offline   Reply With Quote