View Single Post
Old 21st April 2021, 07:10   #1  |  Link
Lowpro

Quick-Play Menus, the hidden gem of BD Rebuilder.

One of my favorite features of BD Rebuilder is the "Quick-Play" (QP) feature. I've been doing something for a while now that others might find useful, so I thought I'd share the love. I create all my QP menus ahead of time prior to building the Blu-ray that contains the actual video files. The test folder I use for creating my QP menus is shown below and can be downloaded here for those interested.

The above folder (192 KB) contains 14 sets of Blu-ray folders as that's the maximum number of titles I like to include per page. Each Blu-ray folder is identical and consists of a single blank video file that's 0.5 seconds long. When going to build the QP menu I update the [Titles] portion of the "titles.inf" file accordingly adding the title names. If I'm working with less than 14 titles I'm removing the additional line entries in each section in addition to removing the extra Blu-ray folders I don't need. If I'm working with more than 14 titles I do the opposite also ensuring I have the desired number of QP menu items per page set in the "BDREBUILDER.INI" file. With each Blu-ray folder only being 13.7 KB in size it takes no time at all for BD Rebuilder to build the Blu-ray and QP menu. I then test the Blu-ray in PowerDVD 18, rinse and repeat until I'm satisfied with the end result.

In my case I only use BD Rebuilder to create the given Quick-Play menu, i.e. to create the Blu-ray folder structure and encode the menu background. I always use my own image for the menu background. I only have BD Rebuilder create the QP menu item buttons. Well, BD Rebuilder still creates the Menu Backdrop. I just set it to be completely transparent. (MENU_BACKDROP_OPACITY=0). Instead I include the Menu Backdrop within the Menu Background I create in Photoshop. (See here for an example of what that looks like.) Each of my Menu Background images include the "Main Title" text, i.e. "Episode Selection" and Menu Backdrop that the QP menu item buttons sit on. And yes, my Menu Backdrop looks identical to what BD Rebuilder creates. I don't use the Menu Backdrop created by BD Rebuilder as I prefer to have my Menu Backdrops a fixed width where BD Rebuilder determines the width based on the longest QP menu item naming for a given page. Including the Menu Backdrop within my Menu Background image also allows me to control the padding the Menu Backdrop uses around the QP menu items.

And here's some eye candy for your viewing pleasure, including the quick and dirty on the process I follow...
I was working with MP4/SRT files in this case, one pair for each episode. The first step was extract the Dolby Digital Plus audio track from each MP4 for inclusion later. I then used SubtitleEdit to convert the SRT subtitles to SUP subtitles. With all my assets set to go I then authored the episodes to Blu-ray using multiAVCHD adding chapter stops, audio and subtitles along the way, a single Blu-ray with no menu. Once creating the Blu-ray with multiAVCHD I took the resulting files (M2TS/MPLS/CLPI) for each title (episode) integrating them with the Blu-ray menus I already created using BD Rebuilder, then updating the playlist (MPLS) for each title (episode) using BDedit ensuring each reference the correct M2TS file.

Leverage: The 1st Season

Leverage: The 2nd Season

Leverage: The 3rd Season

Leverage: The 4th Season

Leverage: The Final Season

Did I mention that I love BD Rebuilder's "Quick-Play" feature. :-P Being able to create the QP menus ahead of time has been a real timesaver. Since my Menu Background images contain everything but the QP menu item buttons it's essential I have a way to quickly build and test a given QP menu, then updating my "BDREBUILDER.INI" file and Menu Background image accordingly if needed building and testing again. In any event, I just thought I'd share the love. Feel free to download my test folder if you like. It can be downloaded from my secure website. I provided a download link near the top of the post here. Enjoy!

And why not. :-P Click here to download the actual QP menus shown above. This is BYOE though, i.e. bring your own episodes. The QP menu download contains 0.5 second blank video files in place of the actual episodes. To incorporate the above with your own Blu-ray's of each season just overwrite your M2TS and CLPI files (99001-99004) with the ones from my corresponding QP menu and you'll be all set. To carry over the "QP menu item" and "page" navigation behavior as well you'll want to use my "index.bdmv" and "MovieObject.bdmv" files from the particular QP menu.

Last edited by Lowpro; 12th February 2023 at 21:53.
Lowpro is offline   Reply With Quote