View Single Post
Old 15th May 2020, 18:19   #177  |  Link
poisondeathray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
My personal opinion having played around with the first few episodes of Season 6 is that there's no compelling reason to get a VFR output. The show is for all intents and purposes is (24/1.001)fps. Just because the DVDs have p24 encoded sections with a soft pulldown applied and i60 encoded sections with a hard pulldown applied doesn't mean the output should be VFR.
At least one space battle definitely has 29.97p content. Someone posted in another forum a sample. How many scenes like this ? I never got into watching DS9 compared to the other series

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/...SC#post2578796

Some people reported "interlaced" . But is there actually any real interlaced content in this series ? By that I mean actual content with 59.94 different moments in time . Not some interlaced fade, not text overlays, or some orphan field.

My opinion #1 - Single rate anything - IVTC, deinterlace, whatever - will be jerky in sections because you have mixed content. VFR is the only way to have everything run at the correct frame rate.

My opinion #2 - One filter for everything is works good on some sections, but not so good on others. Definitely I would filter the problem aliasing sections selectively , otherwise you kill the details on 95% of the other sections. Counterproductive when upscaling. Analogy - A F1 car is great on a track, but sucks on city streets with potholes or offroading. A 4x4 is great for off roading but sucks on the track.

Last edited by poisondeathray; 15th May 2020 at 18:22.
poisondeathray is offline   Reply With Quote