View Single Post
Old 20th April 2020, 15:12   #881  |  Link
GCRaistlin

'History (for undo)' window isn't intuitive. Example: I wanted to apply delay +200 ms to the selected subtitle and forward. I did it but I'm not sure if I have selected "Selected line(s) and forward". I go to Edit -> Show history (for undo) and see there: "Before show selected lines earlier/later: 00:00:00,200". It is completely unclear what does it mean. But okay. I press "Compare with current" and see that no, I didn't select the right option before applying the delay. I press 'Rollback'. The window closes; it is unexpected - I'd prefer it to stay open to give me the possibility to "Compare with current" again. But okay. For some reason I want to redo the action - I press Ctrl-Y. Then I press Ctrl-Z again. I perform these actions a couple of times as I'm sure that it doesnt' touch anything but the last action. But then I found out that I was wrong - now I can't undo anything that I've done before applying this delay!

That's how it should work according to my opinion:
  1. Undoing the action isn't an action itself and should not overwrite other actions in the undo stack. It's the most important thing.
  2. Actions in the history should be named natively. In my case above - "Delay +00:00:00,200 for all lines". If the delay was applied for the selected lines: "Delay +00:00:00,200 for lines ##10-14". And so on.
  3. Actions that are undone should be displayed as Italic.
  4. There should be two buttons in the dialog window: "Undo" and "Redo". If the selected action is undone the "Redo" button is active and "Undo" button is disabled. And vice versa.
  5. If the selected action isn't the last action Undo/Redo are applied to the selected action and all actions after it.

Magically yours
Raistlin
GCRaistlin is offline   Reply With Quote