View Single Post
Old 1st March 2019, 23:42   #71  |  Link
Iron_Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
Those are the common pixel formats supported by vmaf.VMAF.
is this for the VS flavor or for VMAF in general... where did you get this list ?

Quote:
But now it's clear you're using ffmpeg vmaf. Did you look at the ffmpeg log to see what other conversions were occurring ? There might be other stuff going on behind your back
since I wasn't sure whether the bitrate was an issue (for the VMAF calculation), I converted the main and ref clips to yuv444p (8bit) before passing them into ffmpeg libvmaf (by specifying the -pix_fmt)... ffmpeg VMAF will tell the format it uses to compare in the console output, for my main/ref clips (16bit/12bit) it defaults to yuv444p10le, but once u pass clips in as 8bit it uses that format...

the VMAF score whether using original bit depth, 12 bit, 10 bit or 8 bit for the main/ref clips was always ~ 96.x (real test, not control)

Quote:
Sometimes ffmpeg can "mix" up frames, less often with I-frame formats. But if your x265 encode used long GOP, there is a higher chance of a mixup than if it used I-frames only. EXR sequence will be I-frame only
GOP size on the encode is a fixed 48 frames, fps is 24

Quote:
Look at the results WorBy has been posting . They all plateau off below crf 18 or so. crf16 has the same quality as crf 10 or crf 1 if you blindly believe VMAF. ie. Everything looks "the same" to VMAF at higher bitrate ranges. ie. It's not a useful metric for distinguishing higher quality - only for streaming lowish bitrate delivery ranges
well, or in other words:
those results could easily be interpreted that from a certain CRF on, the encode is perceptually identical, which is the whole point of VMAF...

their samples are based on humans reporting perceived quality differences...

Last edited by Iron_Mike; 1st March 2019 at 23:46.