View Single Post
Old 15th January 2021, 11:49   #1470  |  Link
chros

Quote:
Originally Posted by aron7awol View Post
So, my quick answer off-the-cuff is that I think this ends up as just a display thing in the OSD, similar to how FALL changes from sky detection in the OSD even when nothing actually changes. But I want to think about this a little more to be sure.
Ok, thanks. But you can't come up any reasonable explanation for it either then let's report it madshi, because for me it doesn't make any sense.

Quote:
I know you mean DTN, not DPL, in that last sentence.
Yes, sorry, corrected, thanks.

Quote:
I'm not sure I would say the purpose of sky detection is to lower FALL to allow the use of a higher DTN, as much as I'd say the purpose is really to lower FALL so that the target doesn't end up unnecessarily high in that particular scene. But that being said, that reduction of the target in those scenes may allow the use of a higher DTN in a case where a user wanted to use a higher DTN based on other scenes but only didn't because of these scenes. So I do get what you're saying, I just think that's really more of a potential side benefit than a primary intent?
Yes, that's correct/what I meant.

Quote:
I think he mentioned he changed it after switching to "don't add peak nits", for what that's worth.
OK, can be, I don't remember.
So when we use it, let's use: 100/10/20/20

Quote:
And just for the record, I'm not sure I even want to use dynamic clipping yet at the end of the day, I just wanted to test it to see if I liked what it did, and at least it seems to work as intended and so we can evaluate potentially using it.
(sky detection) I am certainly not sure!
Quote:
So kind of as I refer to above, maybe we should compare the same DTN with/without sky detection first
Agreed: so what shall we do with these 2 during our initial testing?
I vote for:
- let's disable them (I don't think they are needed for "normal" content at all)
- we can play with them after that with the well known scenes

How does it sound?

Last edited by chros; 15th January 2021 at 11:56.
chros is offline   Reply With Quote