View Single Post
Old 3rd July 2017, 07:49   #315  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainge View Post
Hello Asmodian
I have a question, which I hope is not too stupid.
I just built a new PC with GTX1070 AMP Extrem. With all that new power, I can finally use MadVR has it should and I put the highest possible settings that my GPU can take (NGU sharp very high for Luma and so on). In addition, I also put direct supersampling on always doubling and I even tried direct quadrupling.

For information, I almost only watch 1080p source on 1080p display, which is what leads to my question.

In some of your posts, I could see that you don't recommand to supersample when source matches the display.
Should I really remove supersampling option? What is the downside of Upscaling to 2160p and then downscaling to get back to 1080p? I honestly thought this was the way to go in order to get super picture quality.

I am the type to put the options on the highest level when I can, but I know it can be totally wrong to do that...

Thanks in advance for your feedback.
I am not sure why I missed your post, I am sorry for that.

I don't like pure supersampling, it tends to introduce the minor artifacts that are the result of any scaling technique without any benefit. At best even NGU upscaling looks basically like the source after downscaling to the source resolution again. The source was probably downscaled from a higher resolution when it was mastered after all and even NGU upscaling isn't going to improve it beyond that original high resolution master.

The only case where I might use supersampling was if I was using strong upscaling refinements and I liked the look better than simply using image enhancements.