View Single Post
Old 13th October 2018, 13:28   #27826  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVideo View Post
I have 5 pieces of 720x480 16:9 MPEG-2 video that I've added to a Blu-ray. But, when played on my Samsung BD player, it believes that the videos are 4:3.

Here is the mediainfo on one of the videos:
Code:
Frame rate mode                          : Variable
I burn the BD structure from the one created in the IMPORTS directory. A backup is not done.

What needs to be done for the BD player to get the correct playback flag?

UPDATE: Found it... sort-of.

I looked at the M2TS files with mediainfo and discovered that the AR was set to 3:2 and the frame rate to 59.94. That was a result of BDRB doing a VFR to CFR conversion. Why, I do not know. So, I disabled VFR->CFR and ended up with the correct AR, i.e., 16.9. But the frame rate was changed to 19.181. WTF? When that was played, the audio was correct, but the video was obviously slower.

Why can't BDRB just place the video into a M2TS container without screwing with it? Is there a flag for that? There is nothing wrong with the video files, as they came off a DVD. I used DVDFab to rip the files into a MKV wrapper.
BD-RB did the VFR->CFR conversion because the original has a variable framerate (which is illegal for BD). It just turns out that 19.181 is the average framerate. I have no idea why some people are obsessed with VFR -- as it really doesn't save that much space.

Are you sure the first conversion was 59.94fps? BD-RB would only do that if it had to convert it to 720p. I'm not sure why BD-RB assumed it was 4:3. I'm guessing, maybe, it lost it in the conversion?? You can force 16:9 by adding the following to your INI (see HIDDENOPTS.TXT):

IMPORT_FORCE_ASPECT=16:9

Make sure you reenable framerate conversion before importing it -- and don't forget to comment IMPORT_FORCE_ASPECT out or delete it after you import that file, though, so you don't ruin the next import.

If the framerate is variable, I doubt it came directly off a DVD, someone had to convert/reencode it first.

If you still have issues, send me a short clip (dvd-rb@jdobbs.net) and I'll trace it during import. I made some changes to the import algorithm recently and there may have been some unforeseen impacts.

Last edited by jdobbs; 13th October 2018 at 13:48.
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote