View Single Post
Old 22nd February 2021, 17:23   #30402  |  Link
jdobbs

Okay. As a part of the update I posted today, I've also included a new function that I'm keeping hidden so that only those users (this forum) who do true beta testing can try it out and (hopefully) help me get it fully functioning. The function is conversion of non-UHD discs to UHD format (v3 with HEVC encoding).

Here's what works now when it is enabled:

1. Performing a Movie-Only backup from a non-UHD disc to UHD format.
2. Converting an imported pseudo-disc structure to UHD format (full or movie-only).
3. Converting a disc that has been Quick-Play authored to UHD format (full or movie-only).

Here's where I'm having trouble:

- Converting off-the-shelf commercial blu-ray discs to UHD format via full-backup mode.

Obviously something is not being updated correctly when I create the UHD output from a commercial disc -- something that doesn't exist in the simple menuing system associated with BD-RB internal authoring. But I haven't been able to put my finger on it. I'm hoping some of the folks who are familiar with UHD and (maybe) those who might have a copy of the BDEdit program that supports UHD can look at the output and help point me to where the issue is.

To enable the UHD conversion/output mode, add the following hidden option to your INI file:

UHD_CONVERT_ENABLE=1

When you have added this option, a new menu item will appear on the SETTINGS/OUTPUT OPTION menu called:

"Convert BD to UHD-BD (HEVC) Format"

As long as it is checked, all output from BD-RB will be in UHD-BD format.

Please note that the UHD standard only supports 2160p and 1080p formats for HEVC encoding. So only 1080p formats are converted to HEVC by default. In testing, however, I have found that (at least on my UHD-BD player) other formats (like 720p and 480p/576p) will play just fine if I convert them. I've been very pleased with the quality I've seen using HEVC on imported DVDs in 480p format (you can fit A LOT on a BD-25!) So, for those who want to live on the wild-side, I've added another hidden option that enables conversion of non-1080p sources into a UHD formatted disc as well. To enable that mode, just add the following to your INI file:

UHD_ALL_MODE=1

I hope testing will reveal where I'm missing the boat on standard commercial BDs and I can get that working for the next release.

Thanks.

Last edited by jdobbs; 22nd February 2021 at 17:35.
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote