View Single Post
Old 29th April 2015, 00:55   #67  |  Link
hello_hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghitulescu View Post
My AVR works just fine. But I was in need to convert a 4.1 (no centre) audio to something I can use. And ran into WAV peculiarities and software shortcoming.

In case you overthink instead of reading, I changed the player and not double checking some information.
I'm not over-thinking anything. I'm trying hard not to think about your logic behind having to convert formats that you claimed were being decoded correctly.

Quote:
The AAC standard 13818-7 allows for whatever channel combination and order. If one particular encoder does not like a particular configuration it's entirely its (encoder) fault.
There must be an AAC encoder conspiracy taking place then.

Quote:
In the case of 3.1 the standard does not allow it if the configuration is Left, Right, Centre and LFE the can only be one single channel, and this is the LFE. All others must be paired. The trick would be to allocate two channels (center left and cenjter right) to represent C (dual mono).
So the standard allows for any channel combination, and if an encoder doesn't like a configuration it's the encoder's fault, except for 3.1ch because the standard that allows for any configuration doesn't allow for 3.1ch. Is that how it works?

That definitely sounds like something you just made up again. How do you explain 5.1ch? Doesn't it consist of 2 pairs of channels and two single channels? What about 4ch? Doesn't it have two single channels? Front left and right (paired channel) plus front centre and rear surround, both being single channels? According to Table 42 on page 61 of this pdf, the 4.0ch configuration definitely contains two single channel elements.

Last edited by hello_hello; 29th April 2015 at 07:07. Reason: spelling
hello_hello is offline   Reply With Quote