View Single Post
Old 23rd May 2020, 17:31   #196  |  Link
manolito

Quote:
Originally Posted by stax76 View Post
@manolito

The StaxRip version you use is very old, it's using VFW, new versions use AviSynth and VapourSynth directly in portable mode, everything is included and works without installing or configuring anything, if AviSynth is installed then the installed version is used and the portable version cannot be used due to how AviSynth and tools are designed, StaxRip includes about ten tools that read avs and vpy. For VapourSynth both modes can be used, at least for what I could test (cannot test hw encoders). The beta from today uses AviSynth 3.6, works fine.
I see your point, but this will not work for me...

This old version 1.1.9.0 is very stable, it was at a time when you took a long break from StaxRip development. When you resumed the development, one of the first things you did was dropping XP support, and shortly after this you abandoned 32-bit completely.

I use StaxRip on at least 3 computers, and one of them is the ancient WinXP machine with a Coppermine CPU (no SSE2 support) and very low system RAM. I really do not want to maintain different StaxRip versions and different AVS plugins on these machines, they all use the "least common denominator" principle. Which means 32-bit and XP compatible.

There are also a couple of 32-bit only AVS plugins I want to keep on using, so I have no intention to ditch this old StaxRip version. Looking at your current StaxRip versions I can see that there are tons of new features which I do not care for (Hi Bit Depth, Hi Color, X265 support, VS support), but some things I do care for are missing (like XviD VFW support). And with all these new features also tons of new bugs were introduced.

So being a "Retro" person I will stick with this old StaxRip version, and if newer versions of AVS+ no longer support it then I will stop using these AVS+ versions. Newer is not always better...

Last edited by manolito; 23rd May 2020 at 17:43.
manolito is offline   Reply With Quote