Old 17th October 2018, 13:58   #682  |  Link
WorBry

Thanks again Skekh,

Just to be clear about VDub2:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shekh View Post
Checked what is going on with chroma,
444 -> 422: each pixel is convolved with kernel 0.25, 0.5, 0.25
As I understand this creates some blurring.

422 -> 444: odd pixel is copied as is, even pixel is blended from two neighbor source pixels
This is simple.
So is the 422 > 444 in VDub2 (by definition) Nearest Neighbor (Point) up-sampling, which is how I first interpreted your description, or Bilinear upsampling ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorBry View Post
So, if I understand correctly, its 'nearest neighbour' (point) up-sampling and it's the convolution averaged chroma sub-sampling that brings about the separation of the R/B and G channel plots on the Resolve Parade scope, which manifests as blur ?

Up-sampled in that example to r210, because Resolve wont import v410
As regards Resolve; actually prior to 15.1.1 version update, the v210 'round-trip/pass-through' behavior (using the 'Checker-422' clip) was different

The change in behavior seen in 15.1.1 came in response to concern (from BMD forum members) about the quality of the export 422 sub-sampling:

Which is when it became apparent that the 'new' behavior bore a striking similarity to that seen in VDub2 for 422 > 444 > 422.

In fact, referring back to the series I posted earlier....

....when I ran quality metrics (FFMPEG) on the matched v210 exports from the Resolve and VDub2 series, the SSIM scores were 1.000000 (lossless) for Luma and UV chroma.

Last edited by WorBry; 17th October 2018 at 15:08.
WorBry is offline   Reply With Quote