View Single Post
Old 29th April 2019, 04:12   #6817  |  Link
bowlingbeeg

Strange FPS values in DVD rips

I've noticed that ever since the VFR support was added last year that when I encode North American DVDs to mkv and play them back on Plex or Kodi the refresh rate of my projector switches from 24p to 60p. It appears that the FrameRateMode is set to Variable in MediaInfo for North American DVDs and that causes the new support to create the timestamp file which ffmpeg uses. Now I'm not exactly sure where things go wrong from there but the result is that the Kodi and Plex seem to think they should be switching to 60p whereas older DVD rips will stay at 24p. Looking at Plex, it seems to think the actual file is 20FPS and when I look at the track info in MKVToolNix I do see a "default duration" of 20FPS. MediaInfo does say the framerate is 23.976 but that the frame rate mode is variable instead of constant like I see on older rips. I'm not entirely sure if this is a bug or not but it's certainly different behavior than what it used to do.

My work flow is that I use makeMKV to rip to a mkv with the MPEG2 video track. Then I use OneClick in MeGUI(2896) to select that mkv file. That encodes it to an h264 and re-muxes it back into an mkv with the original audio.

I've attached the log file if that's needed.
Attached Files
File Type: 7z MeGUI_Log.7z (4.2 KB, 15 views)
bowlingbeeg is offline   Reply With Quote