View Single Post
Old 22nd January 2020, 11:23   #3306  |  Link
manolito

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_ml422 View Post
I checked my sources and there's some with bad coloring so that was that.
This is what I suspected right from the beginning...

Quote:
I think I should keep it at DVD-5 since the sources are just @ 1-2GBs...
It does not have much to do with the size of your source files. The source files are already compressed, and the size of the sources depends on the efficiency of the compression codec. MPEG2 is not very efficient, MPEG4-ASP (Xvid, DivX) is almost twice as efficient, then comes AVC (aka H.264), and HEVC (aka H.265) is the most efficient video compressor today. (I left out other formats like VP8, VP9 or AV1).

If your source is compressed with HEVC and it has a size of 700 MB, then converting it to MPEG2 (which is used for DVD) you will likely get a size of more than 5 GB for a comparable quality.

What matters instead is the lenght of your video and the characteristics (compressability) of the video. A clip with little motion, low details and darker textures will need less bitrate than a high action clip with lots of motion, fast cuts, high details and complex textures like fog for the same quality.

My rule of thumb is that for an average movie up to a duration of a little over 2 hours a DVD-5 will be big enough for very good quality.

Quote:
Maybe stretching it out made it downgrade the quality.
No way...

Quote:
I have it set to default value with encoding, which picks what's best according to the source. I'll try this HCenc 2-pass VBR mode and see what happens. Sometimes I get really great quality encodes, and sometimes not. So I don't know if the better ones are when it decides to use HCenc...
Generally if you use a high bitrate (above 7000 kbps) the encoder quality is less important than for a medium or low bitrate encode. For high bitrates AVStoDVD uses FFmpeg CBR, for bitrates below 6000 kbps it uses HCenc 2-pass VBR (slightly different algo for a single core CPU).

The FFmpeg parameters are simple and not optimized for quality. But at high bitrates this does not necessarily mean that the resulting encode
will look bad. But if your computer is fast and you want the best possible quality each and every time, then you should always use HCenc 2-pass VBR mode.

Last edited by manolito; 22nd January 2020 at 11:31.
manolito is offline   Reply With Quote