View Single Post
Old 24th May 2020, 18:55   #1  |  Link
hotripper

MadVr stutter workaround

Thought I would post here to help anyone seeking out an answer. Stutter occurs when using some Nvidia cards, mostly Rtx2000 series although I have seen some other complaints from other series owners, and the problem is mostly with 24fps content 60, 30, and even 50 doesnt seem to be so bad (I have a 60hz 4k panel). I discovered a workaround last year and these workarounds seem to have been confirmed by some other members within the madvr or mpc threads. So I thought I'd make a dedicated thread where we can confirm and share things we have experienced.

Workarounds
My preferred option is to just go to Nvidia control panel>manage 3d settings>program settings>set vsync to on for your media player(No need to download Profiler Inspector, set frames presented in advanced to 1 or 3 in madvr not necessary either).

other options:
1.In madvr control panel set frames presented in advance to 1.(setting to 3 also works for some but not for me as the frequency of stutter was only reduced.
2.Or you can also try setting low latency mode to On in nvidia cp.
3.Or set windows power options setting to power saver.

They are ranked in most reliable starting with the first option. None are perfect or guaranteed to work as a fix for the future and may stop working as a fix. Some content may even become out of sync with the audio.

My experience with this issue has been quite weird. For a few months I was having no issues with stutter without having to use a workaround, madvr was functioning normally, then one day it was stuttering again, so now I am using the first workaround. I do not watch too many movies mostly game so I cannot say if it was a driver update or mpc or lav filter update which broke it. I had this issue on my Intel build and now on my AMD build with the only component in common is the rtx2070, I have tried 3 different cards and they all stutter. Sometimes even just a simple boot up will fix it for awhile. I have also noticed setting power option in nvidia cp to high performance for MPC makes it worse so keep it on adaptive or even optimal, note that it doesn't seem to matter when used in combination with the frames in advance to 1 workaround.

Anyhow, you can also search my profile for posts related to this topic if you feel it may help you.

So until we get a fix from the dev which looks like it is not going to happen please post your experiences with the stutter problem here.

Last edited by hotripper; 30th May 2020 at 00:10.
hotripper is offline   Reply With Quote