View Single Post
Old 29th November 2017, 04:16   #1332  |  Link
kevbo

Sorry for my delay in responding...the US Thanksgiving weekend got the best of me and I forgot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0lZ View Post
I see. But does that means that you see a relatively small image in the center of the view, like with a TV in a room? If it's the case, that reduces greatly the interest of the technique.
No, it isn't all that small. The lenses in the headset "grow" the image. Shop around on Amazon: some of the newer headsets actually talk about having like 110-120 degree FOV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0lZ View Post
I have had a look at the VR players on the Play Store. There is a lot of apps. Not sure what is the best. Can you conform that AAA VR Cinema and VR Player can decode the 3D videos encoded in HEVC with x265 ?
I'm pretty sure that those players just use the built-in media framework of your device to play the video, and just wrap it in 3D GPU Shaders to shape the image. As such, decoding x.265 would depend entirely on the version of Android you have, and your hardware support. I wouldn't attempt x.265 in software, and I'm using an old Nexus 5 that doesn't support it in hardware, so I've honestly not tried x.265. If you know your hardware can play an x.265 video normally, it should be OK in the 3D players.