View Single Post
Old 10th December 2017, 00:38   #1301  |  Link
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
You're the one that keeps harping on TDP, and my statement of not wanting a graphics card because it add 5 degrees of heat to the room.
If you don't want a GPU, fine! I'm not a GPU salesman. I'm not trying to say it's wrong to not have a GPU. Claiming an idling GPU will add five degrees (are we even talking Celsius here or what?) to your room temperature is physically possible but I'd call it extremely goddamn unlikely to be true.

Quote:
TDP is somewhat gamed like megapixels in cameras, and has been for years. CPUs can get hotter than the TDP, and TDP doesn't reflect maximum heat output. But it is a gauge of heat nonetheless. And that heat goes somewhere (ie, the room with the computer).
It's not "gamed" - it's an engineering classification, not an empirically measured number. Maximum heat output is exactly what it reflects, although again it's not an exact measurement but rather a nice round ballpark number intended for estimating how much cooler you'll need.

Quote:
A hotter TDP item rarely outputs less heat than lower TDP item, even at idle.
This statement is exactly what I'm taking issue with. A processor will output not output even a milliwatt more thermal energy than the electrical energy it is consuming, and I've already shown you exact power consumption numbers at idle. This is fundamental thermodynamics. If you refuse to accept this you are rejecting physics as a whole and effectively believe in magic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LigH View Post
Please, please, concentrate more on technical than personal topics.

Some of our moderators here are quite strict when it comes to violating the Netiquette.
lol this forum is barely moderated at all
TheFluff is offline   Reply With Quote