View Single Post
Old 15th May 2020, 18:41   #183  |  Link
Stereodude

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapp7 View Post
I was initially feeding it the YUV footage, however according to poisondeathray Topaz Video Enhance AI will convert to RGB and in the process it will clip the range to 16:255 instead of preserving the full range. That's why I was trying to convert to RGB first, and convert back to YUV after the upscale.
It looks like you are conflating two different things. You don't want to feed a lossy compressed intermediate file into Topaz or take a lossy output from Topaz. You would want to take the output from the IVTC script, losslessly compress it and feed that file into Topaz (presuming Topaz can't open the .avs). If you want to go the RGB route you would convert to RGB in the script, export the .avs to .tiff or .PNG, and run those through Topaz. Output from Topaz should be lossless also.

There are pros and cons to converting to RGB. If you want to color grade the episodes after upscaling, then going to RGB probably make sense (presuming Topaz can't accept >8-bit YUV video input). Otherwise, I'd probably steer clear unless you find that Topaz handles the YUV-RGB conversion poorly.

If you are planning to color grade it later those conversion lines I pasted are not the right ones to use. They are full to full. You would want to go full to limited in the first step. You will be compressing the colors range, so you definitely don't want to map it to 8-bit RGB.

z_ConvertFormat(pixel_type="RGBPS16", colorspace_op="170m:601:170m:f=>rgb:srgb:170m:l")

The step to come back is more complicated and depends on how you've color graded it (and where in the remaining steps you're going to color grade it). Which is why I haven't provided you the line because it's so highly variable on what is correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapp7 View Post
Just to be clear, that ffmpeg command is for the input video into Topaz. I'm saving the output from Topaz as .png images because it's lossless and the only video alternative is an antiquated H.263 encoding in mp4 format. We're all hoping they add better video options in the future.
Understood. Even if it real RGB, it's going to be limited to 8-bits, or 10-bits. If you're trying to get fancy with RGB you'd want to use Topaz on 16-bit .png or tiff files (for the input).
Stereodude is offline   Reply With Quote