View Single Post
Old 14th December 2009, 15:29   #6302  |  Link
Race Guy

Speaking of full backup to BD-9's, what makes some "not play" on a standalone?

I started going full to BD-9 for some titles. I ALWAYS test burn to BD-RE to check menu function, then, if it passes, I burn to DL hard copy. The first few I did, the 9's played nice, so I started "building a pile", assuming they were all playable.

Then about a week ago, I tried a 9 I just did & my Oppo spit it out as a bad disc. I then went thru my pile & tried them all, finding 7 that got spit out! Keep in mind, ALL of these ran good on BD-RE. For DL burn, I do 'em slow at 2.4x via ImgBurn & verify the burn.

For the heck of it, I took 3 of 'em to my local big box HDTV place for a test drive. I tried them in a "house brand" player & a Sony. On both of those, they loaded to the main menu, BUT the salesman COULD NOT find a remote for either player, so we couldn't "launch" the disc. I'd assume they would've played though.

So then I take some "bad ones" & some "good ones" to my buddy's house who has a Sony N460. Same deal, the good ones play, the bad ones get "rejected" immediately.

I did notice that flix from WB end up "good", Uni & Sony end up "bad". Can't say this is a "rule" yet, just an observation on the few I've tried.

The only "non-default" thing I do is, I don't select "BD-9" for the output, I go "8150MB custom". Would that make a diff on what gets processed & what doesn't?

Any thoughts, folks? Could there be a hunk of leftover HD Audio at disc launch that the players reject?

See ya!
Race Guy is offline   Reply With Quote