View Single Post
Old 18th December 2018, 14:01   #16484  |  Link
ReinerSchweinlin

Exactly ... Storage with traditional HDs is so cheap these days..... If remiuxing is faster on a SSD, one could take this intermediate step and pull everything in one peace over to the HD.. Much cheaper on the bill and a lot quicker than re-encoding...

If Size/Quality Ratio is not that big of a concern - one could easily buy a recent GPU oder CPU with hardware encoding and be very quick with very good results. My 50 Euro Pentium (Kaby Lake) was able to do 1080p in H265 10 Bit in "faster than realtime" with no sweat... and Q20 gave results for a normal Movie (with not too much grain in it) at max 6mbit or so.... All my quicksync encodes look very good with about 50% to 100% more Bitrate thrown at them than x265 - and are done much faster..

Of course, If one wants to squeeze out the best quality per bitrate possible - you have to filter, use X265 instead of hardware, take slow settings, wait, twak, CU-losless your brains out, etc.. I really enjoy optmizing things, but thats more of a question of "whats important to me - time? Quality? Having a Hobby? Learning the secrets of encdoing? go to avisynth college...??

But it all comes down to the basics - understanding the difference between re-muxing and re-encoding - I agree on that
ReinerSchweinlin is offline   Reply With Quote