View Single Post
Old 6th July 2018, 15:22   #5240  |  Link
Perenista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosu View Post
MKVToolNix cannot do this. It's not a video editor/encoder. Additionally there are no provisions for filters/modifications/projections upon display in Matroska either.
Hum, what do you mean?

For example, if I wanted to change the display aspect ratio in MKVToolnix I could do that easily. Some videos have a wrong AR, and I usually adjust them by configuring the AR to 4:3, or even 16:9, depending on the case.

Sometimes I use MakeMKV and the extra features are in 3:2 for some odd reason (it only happens with certain discs). Then I use that option to correct the MKV files.

I assumed that since this sort of modification is possible (while mantaining the contents in lossless) I could easily turn the video 90 degrees clockwise without any unnecessary reencode.

The issue with my video is that I recorded using an iPAD Pro 10.5 while not using landscape/portrait properly. So the video looks like this now:

https://imgur.com/a/SkBt9ZZ

Another reason for me to not want to resort to reencode is that I have multiple videos from the iPAD, and once ONE is reencoded you have to do the same for all others, since it's not possible to combine them by using MKVToolnix anymore *.

* At least I don't think this can be done, I remember seeing "the streams don't match" warnings in the past.

I assumed "90 degrees clockwise" was just another random command given to the Matroska just like "change the AR to 4:3, 16:9 or 1.85:1), and the player would only interpret it to adjust accordingly.

Do you guys follow my line of reasoning...?