View Single Post
Old 15th December 2017, 11:59   #47758  |  Link
mclingo

NOTES for 4K AMD users - after using my machine for a few days I can confirm its rock stable, 3D MVC is working 100% of the time, as is HDR, no issues at all with black screens or PC freezing - with Caveats (see below)

Settings / drivers

- AMD driver - 17.11.2 (17.11.4 has issues, havent tried 17.12.1 yet)
- Lav filters - 0.70.2
- MADVR - 0.90.10
- Windows 10 creators update
- using MPC and KODI DS
- Using FES and DIRECT 3D mode in MADVR rendering.
- using 2160p gui mode in KODI DS + windowed mode

Caveats, as previously explained, all my problems occurred when playing a 1080p movie from a 2160p desktop, it plays it ok but when MADVR drops back to 2160p desktop you either get a black screen or the PC freezes altogether. This happens every time with 3D and HDR but less frequently with 2D stuff.
The workaround is to drop your desktop into the resolution of the video beforehand. This is easy if you are just using MPC but less so if you are using KODI as you have to come out to change it. However, all of my HDR stuff is in 4K and all of my 3D stuff is in 1080p, so I’ve simply created a different shortcut to start KODI when playing 3D stuff. This shortcut first uses SETRES to change my desktop to 1080p, then sleeps for 2 seconds and loads KODI in 1080p. 3D movies then play fine.

MADSHI – any change you could look at this to see if you could find out what is crashing our machines and causing black screens when resolution is changing for the next release. Obviously its something to do with Windows 10 but I’m hoping there might be a workaround.
mclingo is offline   Reply With Quote