View Single Post
Old 26th November 2018, 21:17   #53736  |  Link
mclingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSeries View Post
Madshi, if this is something you could implement, there's a bunch of oled owners who'd be forever grateful! I know you don't have an oled but we could test for you. On my C8, I have to have madVR dither to 5bit to get acceptable near-black gradation.
we've discussed this before, it isnt that OLEDS are particularly bad at near black, I keep hearing this but I dont see it. I have a first gen OLED and I can tell you that it you feed it a good image you get one right back if its setup right.

Where they struggle is poorly mastered compressed material where there is macro blocking at near black. An LCD will have exactly the same problems if they could do perfect black, LCD just masks these areas as its all just a grey mush. My OLED cant fix this, Later panels added a black crush and some extra processing to hide some of this but mine has none of this so I use MADVR, I guess you could say i'm seeing the picture as it is, warts and all.

I do agree however some extra dithering patterns near black would be very useful, especially for TV rips. Some of the netflix, amazon and particularly sky stuff has been so bad over the years even though I was paying for it I sometimes had to download the episode so you I can run it through MADVR and apply some image processing.

BBC are the worst offenders IMHO, there compression is horrific, Peaky blinders has been completely unwatchable at times due to streaming compression artifacts.