View Single Post
Old 18th December 2018, 13:31   #16482  |  Link
Ryushin

Quote:
Originally Posted by burt123 View Post
Of course you are...

So how many movie length x265 encodes to you do ??

And I'm sure as hell happy I don't have to pay your power bill !!!!

Like I said in a previous post, MKVToolNix does it's job in minutes, admittedly there's no DE, or filtering, but if the movie quality is good, (and most 4K movie's are), why does RB have to pull it apart, and put it back together. That's what takes all the time (other than the encoding), and why that has to take so long, when the file is already "up to scratch".
I have about 160 4K discs. Only about 2/3 done with my encoding for 4K right now.

Power bill is heavy. Wife complains.

So as Atak just posted, I understand what you're thinking and trying to do. There is a big difference between remuxing and re-encoding. If you just want to get the 4K movie off the disc and onto your computer, then use MakeMKV and it will take the film and place it into a MKV file at it's original quality and size from the 4K disc. Average size of your file will be between 45-100GB in size. Should take about an hour or so per disc to do and then you are done. All the original subtitles will be there as well.

Now if you want to make changes to said video, making it smaller, degraining, etc. then you will need to re-encode. This is what RB is for. It takes time to extract each component to set it up for how RB processes it (Handbrake skips this step, but it also can not do DE). After that, its encoding time. So for me it is 1-3 movies per day, depending on if I'm using MDegrain or not. If the file size is not right (for me) then I tweak its settings (MDegrain) and back it goes for encoding. I like to shoot for the movie to be 1/3 to 1/4 of it's original size. So about 15-25GB depending on length. Depending on grain, I might have to redo the encode 2-3 times. So a single movie, might take 1-4 days to get done.

Since time seems really important to you, just use MakeMKV and keep the original movie. Get a couple of 10GB drives and store your movies natively.
Ryushin is offline   Reply With Quote