View Single Post
Old 18th January 2018, 17:25   #48484  |  Link
mytbyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by el Filou View Post
It can come from those things:

a. EVR is less VRAM hungry than madVR, which could explain why madVR is struggling with 8K video on a card with only 2 GB of VRAM.

b. the GT1030 doesn't have the power to downscale 8K to 1080 using madVR high quality algorithms.

c. both

I don't see the point of 8K on a 1080 output tbh, but anyway:

1. Close all other programs and folder windows when playing video, each one takes up VRAM which the GT1030 doesn't have plenty of.

2. Choose D3D11 as hardware decoder in LAV, Device set to Automatic (native). This gives slightly better performance.

3. Check your VRAM and GPU loads with GPU-Z or another tool when playing back a 8K clip with madVR:

a. If the GPU load is approaching 90% or more then it's too high. Try selecting DXVA2 downscaling in madVR (make a profile just for 8K), though this defeats the purpose of using madVR, so you'd get better results with a 4K clip and a higher quality downscaler.

b. If the VRAM usage is approaching 1.8-1.9 GB then it may already be too high. You can try to lower queues in madVR to those values (CPU/GPU/Present): 4/4/3.
If that still maxes out VRAM then you're out of luck. If that works, then you can try 4 for the Present queue to be safer, and if that still doesn't max out the VRAM you can then try upping the GPU queue until you hit the VRAM limit again (keep the CPU queue the same as GPU, NVIDIA's hardware decoder is so fast it won't cause problems).
, the point was just to try it out for the heck of it...and hopefully be able to preview/play 8K content if it's not available in any other form...so, could live with EVR, of course, except for HDR - no conversion with EVR...

I've tried everything you propose...even with EVR, D3D11 doesn't cut it, only DXVA2 Native, Video decode is @98%, VRAM is @1,8 GB, so you are probably right - no more of anything left for MadVR to work with...nothing I do to MadVR helps one bit...

I have also noticed (Ctrl-J) that even with EVR it doesn't actually run at full frame rate, it varies between 51 and 55 fps when it should do 60...I'm probaly hitting the VRAM bandwidth limit (64 bit), also GPU-Z PerfCap reports it's capping because of VRel

P.S. with all windows closed it's using 1,7GB VRAM, and when I don't scale the video it runs @58 fps...

Last edited by mytbyte; 18th January 2018 at 18:03.
mytbyte is online now   Reply With Quote