View Single Post
Old 22nd February 2015, 03:33   #53  |  Link
Arm3nian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
This is exactly my point. The sort hand "2x the resolution" means 2 times greater horizontally and 2 times greater vertically. You cannot replace resolution with information; they are not synonymous.

To be precise "2x the resolution" is ambiguous, it could have either interpretation. It would be more precise to say "2x the resolution horizontally and vertically" or "twice the number of pixels".

There are reasonable reasons to talk about resolution as the total number of pixels but that is not the convention normally used when discussing digital images and video (unless you are a marketing department).

2x scaling gives 2x the resolution (Nvidia's DSR notwithstanding, they only want to describe the performance hit and do not care about conventions).

Anyway I am happy to agree to disagree, only know if I say "2x the resolution" I mean 4 times the number of pixels.
I'm just going off the fact that the term resolution was created to describe information. You can say that 3840x2160 is 2x the resolution of 1920x1080, but what does that mean? It is a useless definition if resolution does not imply information. Maybe it does make sense when strictly talking about photography or video, but that is because we already know doubling the resolution in both directions leads to 4x the pixels, and are just trying to talk about the size. Resolution on its own is a meaningless value if not talking about information. In engineering, the resolution bandwidth of a spectrum analyzer for example implies more samples, therefore shows more information.
Arm3nian is offline   Reply With Quote