View Single Post
Old 25th April 2017, 21:55   #43510  |  Link
mrcorbo

I am not able to get HDR output to work either in Win 10 Creators update using my GTX 1060. I even tried reverting to the pre-Creator's update driver (378.92) as the Creators Update supporting driver broke HDR output in games for some people, but this also didn't work.

Things I've tried in all possible combinations:

Setting color output settings to 4:2:2 and 4:2:0 10 and 12 bit in Nvidia driver settings.

Setting color output settings to system managed in Nvidia drivers (new option for Creator's update drivers).

Manually triggering HDR mode in Windows display settings before playing video.

Both Nvidia and Win 10 HDR metadata transmission methods in madVR.

In the cases where HDR was not manually turned on, madVR output was identical in windowed and FSE modes (and both were wrong, looking washed out with the overall picture too bright, the highlights dulled and with the color saturation low). In the cases where HDR was manually turned on, the windowed output was still wrong and the FSE output looked the same as the output when HDR was turned off.

As of now, the only "correct" (as in close to the output of my TV's internal media player and madVR in process HDR to SDR mode) HDR output I've seen is by setting the Nvidia drivers to system managed color, turning on HDR manually, and playing the files in the Windows 10 Movies and TV app. This combination of settings is also the only time I've seen my receiver report that it is being sent the BT.2020 color space.

Interestingly, the output from the Movies and TV app when HDR is turned off is the inverse of madVR's ouput with the overall picture dark with the highlights blown out and with the colors super-saturated.

Last edited by mrcorbo; 25th April 2017 at 22:12.
mrcorbo is offline   Reply With Quote