View Single Post
Old 14th November 2018, 21:22   #28056  |  Link
Mark_Venture

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdobbs View Post
Yeah. That may be the way to go. I'd have to spend money on a nvidia card that supports NVENC/HEVC, though. Are there any cheap ones? I'm not sure what processor I'd have to have in order to support QuickSync... right now the only Intel processor I have in use is an i5.
For Nvidia card... see https://developer.nvidia.com/video-e...support-matrix

It appears any GTX 10x0 card will work for NVENC, but for NVDEC it appears RTX 20x0 adds VP8 and will be getting support for H.265 (HEVC) 4:4:4 (8/10/12bit) "soon"

Has anyone found a chart that compares speed and quality between GTX10x0 and RTX20x0 cards? I've only seen what Nvidia said about RTX on their developer blog...
Quote:
Turing’s new display engine supports HDR processing natively in the display pipeline. Tone mapping has also been added to the HDR pipeline. Tone mapping is a technique used to approximate the look of high dynamic range images on standard dynamic range displays. Turing supports the tone mapping formula defined by the ITU-R Recommendation BT.2100 standard to avoid color shift on different HDR displays.

Turing GPUs also ship with an enhanced NVENC encoder unit that adds support for H.265 (HEVC) 8K encode at 30 fps. The new NVENC encoder provides up to 25% bitrate savings for HEVC and up to 15% bitrate savings for H.264.

Turing’s new NVDEC decoder has also been updated to support decoding of HEVC YUV444 10/12b HDR at 30 fps, H.264 8K, and VP9 10/12b HDR.

Turing improves encoding quality compared to prior generation Pascal GPUs and compared to software encoders. Figure 11 shows that on common Twitch and YouTube streaming settings, Turing’s video encoder exceeds the quality of the x264 software-based encoder using the fast encode settings, with dramatically lower CPU utilization. 4K streaming is too heavy a workload for encoding on typical CPU setups, but Turing’s encoder makes 4K streaming possible.
I've not seen any tests or reporting to validate these claims.

As for Quicksync, there is a list of processors that support QuickSync here -> https://ark.intel.com/Search/Feature...SyncVideo=true but it doesn't have an easy way of knowing any other details..
Mark_Venture is offline   Reply With Quote