View Single Post
Old 5th January 2020, 22:18   #7028  |  Link
Liisachan
李姗倩 Lǐ Shān Qiàn

Quote:
Originally Posted by v0lt View Post
@Liisachan
This will only work for containers in which there is a language code.

In any case, the double option always works: "jap jpn". Therefore, recent changes may be removed in the future.
Yes, I'll respect your choice
I'll do some more tests anyway, and tell you guys if I find any possible problems/improvements related to auto track-selection in general (e.g. how to auto-select reliably between simplified Chinese & traditional Chinese).

As for "jap" vs. "jpn":
  1. On the one hand "jap" is used in reality so supporting it is practical.
  2. On the other hand, it's common sense for those who speak Japanese that the abbreviations for Japanese is "ja" or "jpn". They're standard codes used internationally on a daily basis on the Internet, used also in Matroska (and perhaps MP4 etc.). So it's more likely for those people to type "jpn" into that editbox.
  3. So how about making it so that if either "jap" or "jpn" is typed, it is automatically treated internally as if the two options "jap jpn" were specified?
The thing is, "jap" is a touchy word like "fag" or "nigger" — I feel slightly awkward every time I see the static text "Examples: eng jap swe" on that Options dialogbox. I know this is not a programming-related issue you're interested in, so I wouldn't insist, but generally, standard abbreviations (ja or jpn) should be recognized/preferred while non-standard language codes like "jap" can be tacitly treated as aliases.
(In reality one common situation may be this: someone plays a multi-audio anime MKV, where the default is a dub+no_sub, while the viewer wants to select the original "jpn" audio+sub.)

As MPC-BE users increase, more and more users from various countries/areas/cultures might start pointing out similar issues (e.g. Is it "Persian" or "Farsi"?). In such a case, supporting both seems an easy solution, as long as the speed penalty is small enough. Anyway that's the background of my original comment.
Liisachan is offline   Reply With Quote