View Single Post
Old 12th December 2018, 19:40   #1302  |  Link
Nintendo Maniac 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
many of those CPUs are often times going to be too slow for any real use anyway.
And in all honesty, if you bought a K10 in 2012 or anywhere near to that, you just did it wrong, even on the low-end market.
Keep in mind that even the Llano 1st gen APUs lacked SSSE3 due to their K10-derived CPU architecture.

As someone with both a Phenom II x4 and a Core 2 Quad (actually a Phenom II x2 unlocked to x4 and a quad Wolfdale Xeon), I find that the latter has pretty sub-par multicore scaling in video workloads - yes it's faster than a Core 2 Duo, but not quite at the level that you'd expect as I showed in my post two pages back (if Wolfdale had the same scaling from 2c/2t to 4c/4t as Nehalem, then 4c/4t Wolfdale would've only needed ~2.4GHz, not 2.7GHz)

This then commonly results in the Phenom actually performing similar to if not better than the Core 2 Quad on a per-GHz basis assuming the tested code isn't heavily relying on SSSE3 or SSE4.1 (as is obviously the case currently with AV1 decoding), and the Phenom not only tended to have higher stock clocks but even came in 6 core variants as well.

Similarly, I've also previously documented that the Phenom II is faster than Core 2 Quad clock-for-clock in SVP video interpolation (which is a task that loves "moar cores!" and SMT threads).
2x2GB+2x1GB DDR3-1333 | 4x4GB DDR3-1600       
Nintendo Maniac 64 is offline   Reply With Quote