View Single Post
Old 1st May 2017, 11:06   #25879  |  Link
Lathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVideo View Post
Why do you want to convert 59.94 source material to 29.97, when the source contains true 59.94 fps video? By doing so, you've reduced the time spatial info.

Transcoding is generally when you go from one video codec to another, i.e., MPEG-2 to H.264, or H.264 to H.265. This requires a re-encoding, which you are calling a rerender.

Keep in mind that changing frame rates also requires a re-encoding. There is no way around that. You can't just "drop" frames in a 59.94 fps video to get to 29.97 fps. That isn't the way digital video works.
I THINK, if I understand this correctly, that in the past I've just left the video at 59.94 (I can't remember exactly what I did to 'double' the rate - IDK if it had something to do with it being interlaced or something...) Anyway, the 'doubled' rate at 59.94 looked a LOT better than when I tried to convert it to, what, 23.xx, I don't remember. But, since my player simply played the 59.94 perfectly fine 'as is', I just left it.

Now, you were saying that you cannot change the frame rate without re-encoding. How then does TSMuxer allow you to change the frame rate for the video track when it is simply remuxing the file...? Many times I get 'a hold of' an MKV file where when I drop it into TSMuxer it shows an improper frame rate of 90,000 fps (or something like that) I just choose the correct fps from the drop down menu. I can choose 24,000/0001, 24, 25, 30, 30,000/0001 if I remember correctly, and when I remux it, the actual frame rate DOES change to whatever I've chosen. So, if it is the wrong one, the A/V sync will be off.

How can it do this without re-encoding?
Lathe is offline   Reply With Quote