View Single Post
Old 11th October 2018, 16:57   #1120  |  Link
mandarinka

Quote:
Originally Posted by benwaggoner View Post
Can a modern system do that for HEVC? HEVC decode is going to be more inherently parallelizable due to WPP. And I'm not aware of any software decoders that can do a realtime 2160p60 HEVC on any hardware I've looked at.
I think it was recently mentioned here that FFmpeg doesn't do WPP simultaneously in addition to frame threading. I'm also aware of it not scaling very well, maybe this is the reason. (Doesn't OpenHEVC support doing this?)
But since Nevcariel says it works on some PCs, I guess it is a matter of CPU and RAM bandwidth. And perhaps single-thread per-core performance. Many slower cores might not cut it due to bw/scaling issues, but fewer ones on 4,0-4,5 GHz like those Kaby Lake/Coffee Lake chips could?

FFmpeg's HEVC decoder isn't yet/atm optimised thoroughly, there is some intrinsics optimizations from openhevc missing (LAV Video decoder has them though) and there is probably some other pickable fruit too. There just wasn't motivation on the side of devs it seems (preferences for the google/royalty-free formats etc).

Last edited by mandarinka; 11th October 2018 at 17:10.
mandarinka is offline   Reply With Quote