View Single Post
Old 24th September 2018, 14:09   #52685  |  Link
creativeopinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
You will either want the TV to do tone mapping or madVR. It's probably not a good idea to let both tone map. So I'd suggest to either passthrough HDR to the display untouched. Or to let madVR do the tone mapping. The latter might give you the best quality. However, if you have an OLED display, maybe you'll not get the same brightness because from what I've read the OLED might switch to some sort of "overdrive" mode to squeeze out the last bit of possible brightness, when it receives HDR content. So if you let madVR do the tone mapping, you'll lose that overdrive mode (whether that is a good or bad thing is another question).
Being on an OLED I can confirm that setting anything higher then 120 nits produces the picture that is simply too dark and doesn't look correct at all. At 120 it looks good but my understanding is 120 is too low and not being able to set anything higher probably defeats the purpose of using it. I'm not sure about my other settings, I would say I haven't changed anything in the 'calibration tab'. I've set my OLED Light to 100 even though TV stayed in SDR mode and HDR have not been activated.

When I was comparing passthrough with convert HDR to SDR at 120 nits + are you nuts. I had the feeling both pictures are actually very similar with madVR doing it better so I wouldn't say that peak brightness in HDR vs convert HDR to SDR was that big of a difference.

If I set the nits to 300-480 or even 200-250 content is unwatchable, just too dark and it's clear from the first look this is not how the picture is supposed to look. On the other hand setting this at only 120 nits seems like too low and pointless?

Last edited by creativeopinion; 24th September 2018 at 14:17.
creativeopinion is offline   Reply With Quote