View Single Post
Old 24th September 2018, 14:44   #52689  |  Link
Manni

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
No, it does not. It's quite the opposite. Tone mapping compresses a very wide dynamic range into a very small range. Which means that the distance between e.g. brighter and darker grain dots in bright image sections becomes compressed, too (both mathematically and perceptionally). Practically that means that grain becomes softened through tone mapping.

The new algo simply reconstructs the original distance (on a perceptional scale) between the grain dots. There's no exacerbation, no oversharpening and no overprocessing going on here at all. You can't use a softened image (old/dumb) as a reference for how grain should be reproduced.

To sum up: The new algo does not exacerbate the grain. The old algo and dumb mode soften it.
Thanks for the explanation and the correction. I was wondering if the old algo / dumb were softening the picture with these settings, it looks like it's the case.

Just to clarify, I'm not used to look at pictures with these settings, and as I'm familiar with all the improvements in the new algo I was surprised to see what looked like a downside as I had not noticed/experienced it before, which is why I asked about the settings used.

If the old algo/dumb do indeed soften the picture with these settings, then it's one more benefit for the new algo

By the way, I apologize I only pointed this out and not how great the algo is. I have little time at the moment and was only continuing the discussion we've had over the last few months in the other thread, without realizing/remembering that this was fairly new here.

I didn't point or list the many benefits of the new algo because I thought they would be obvious to anyone (not only in this very example of BvsS, but in all the other screenshots you have selected), and because I'm familiar with them after weeks and months of testing.

I thought that thanking you for all your good work would make this obvious, but in case it isn't, I'd like to clarify for anyone who wasn't following the testing done in the other thread that I'm over the moon with the new algo, and that I'm neither using "dumb" or passthrough, nor the old algo anymore, and certainly don't regret them.

Just in case anyone could misread my comment for what it wasn't.

Keep up the good work, and thanks again for bringing us the best HDR to SDR conversion ever!
Denon X8500HA>HD Fury VRRoom>TCL 55C805K

Last edited by Manni; 24th September 2018 at 15:10.
Manni is offline   Reply With Quote