View Single Post
Old 27th April 2019, 23:12   #7  |  Link
BLKMGK

Quote:
Originally Posted by blublub View Post
Ok after a little more testing:

numa-pools = 36 or 38 does max out the CPU with frame-threads=2. With frame-threads=1 it pretty much takes numa-pools to be 48.
When I lower numa-pools and enable "pme" the CPU load does go up by about 5-8% but speed seems to be reduced by a lot - so that hurts encoding speed it seems.

Is anyone using high core count Xeons, maybe a 3175x? I am interested what other users do to max out the CPU. I just have hard time to believe that encoding multiple jobs at the same time is the only solution.

Windows or Linux?

I have a dual 10core V2 Xeon machine (20 threads) that I ran into this issue with running Linux. Since I also have several other machines in my home with spare cores also running Linux I began researching how best to distribute the load. The end result has been a Docker Swarm and ReddisQueue application with some custom code. I had the concept, I built a bash script PoC, and then I worked with a talented friend to try and build the rest on my hardware. It’s working (across multiple machines) but we’re still tweaking and bug stomping right now. We expect to release the code publicly fairly soon as aside from RipBot I’ve seen nothing public like it and was pretty frustrated. Frankly we’re hoping others help us improve it and that this is a good headstart It’s not flashy.

RipBot works well with Windows and can use AVIsynth filters too which is very nice but it won’t interleave jobs. I use this on my Windows boxes and when I need filters, I expect I’ll be trying containers on them in the future to use the custom code described above. If your desire is no fuss no muss for Windows RipBot is pretty kickass with only a few annoyances IMO. It gives good status feedback and won’t kill user performance so it can be run across even somewhat heavily utilized machines (my headless surveillance machine runs it for instance). RipBot can also leverage video hardware if that’s of interest. It gets around the core utilization issue by running multiple encoders in parallel btw.

P.S. This machine and another will get the new Ryzen 16core CPUs when released, both will be leveraged for encoding.

Last edited by BLKMGK; 27th April 2019 at 23:14.
BLKMGK is offline   Reply With Quote