View Single Post
Old 23rd October 2018, 09:54   #5  |  Link
hello_hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessS View Post
I currently have Classic Shell installed (which fixes that god awful Windows Explorer jumping about thing when you click on a folder). Unfortunately the explorer is still bloody awful in comparison to the XP edition. It is hard to believe that W7 Windows Explorer has survived so long without its bugs and peculiarities being squashed.
Try an alternative file manager. The free version of xplorer2 is much better.
https://www.freewarefiles.com/Xplore...am_111070.html

It's dual-pane, each pane can have multiple tabs like a browser, and each pane can have it's columns configured individually. It can be configured to startup in it's previous state, but I prefer to disable that and create several tabs open to often used locations and save the configuration so it always starts up that way.

A file manager without dual panes is soooooo frustrating. It also has a feature which I think might be similar to the breadcumbs annoyance of Explorer, only it works better. Each tab shows the full path and it's clickable. Left click takes you to the location in the path you clicked on. Right click gives you a list of all the subfolders for that location.

Best as I can tell, the free version only comes in a 32 bit flavour, but I think the only limitation there is it can't be configured to replace Explorer on 64 bit Windows. Not that it matters. I've always used it separately and it still incorporates Explorer's context menus.
It also appears the latest version (I haven't used it yet) has a ribbon interface, but you can switch to the classic menu bar.

There's a tree view similar to Explorer's but I don't use it much so I have it hidden as I'm still using a 4:3 monitor.

Last edited by hello_hello; 23rd October 2018 at 10:05.
hello_hello is offline   Reply With Quote