View Single Post
Old 17th October 2019, 09:40   #121  |  Link
excellentswordfight
Lost my old account :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boulder View Post
To me it looks like x265 has SAO enabled which is a no-no if you don't want it to smooth everything. Also, are they all the same frame type? It's pointless comparing a P-frame to a B-frame when you look at single frames.
At this bitrate/compression I dont think turning off sao will do much good, and x265 medium has already more detail than nvenc in these samples anyway. I think the reason why NikosD finds nvenc superior is cause it is smoother, not the other way arround (he thinks the the clothes looks better, and they are more smudged together). x265 medium is overall much sharper, this is very clear when jumping between them, but since the bitrate is not sufficiant this also makes the people seem more cluttered.

I also had a look at the new JC samples without any filters, and it looks much better (if it was the old filters that was the issue or the new settings I'm not sure though). JC_const_quality_4Mbps looks absolutely fine now and do not suffer at all as much from inconsistent frame quality.

Last edited by excellentswordfight; 17th October 2019 at 09:49.
excellentswordfight is offline   Reply With Quote