View Single Post
Old 12th July 2009, 12:21   #20  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by neuron2 View Post
Wrong. It has a post processor that catches combed frames that slip through the field matching process. That is enabled by default.
Well, sorry. I didn't realize that "post processing" feature. Now I noticed that post-processing is off by default in Avidemux.

But basically the idea of an Inverse Telecine filter is to restore full frames by merging fields in the correct order/pattern, instead of interpolating.

If there's an (additional) post processor in Decomb Telecide to catch remaining combing artifacts, good. Will try to keep that in mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by neuron2 View Post
The post processor in Telecide() will test if the frame has combing and apply deinterlacing only to the combed frames. Yadif will act on all frames, whether combed or not. That is not good.
Yeah, that's why I said that appending Yadif (as yet another post-processor) is the "quick and dirty" solution.

If you know a better one (maybe Decomb Telecide's post filter can be tweaked to give better results on LeoH's source), I think it would be welcome

(BTW: TDeint has a similar option to only process "combed" frames, so it can act as a post-processor too)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoH View Post
It seems my main problem is this field distortion issue. I've tried searching for some filters to address it, but haven't found anything yet. This must be a common problem though - especially with old telecine tapes?
I think the problem is that "wobble" effect in your source

Even if the fields are merged in the correct pattern, they don't fit perfectly together, because of these distortions.

Maybe the "correct" solution would be to shift each odd (even) line horizontally until it fits...

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 12th July 2009 at 13:28.
LoRd_MuldeR is offline   Reply With Quote