View Single Post
Old 18th September 2015, 20:37   #11  |  Link
nalor

Okay - just finished my last internal tests for the next small update to FindVUK and attached version 0.61 in the first post

The biggest change is the additional support for 2 more products from DVDfab:
  • MediaPlayer Pro
  • DVDfab9

As already mentioned DVDfab has a promotion running to give away MediaPlayer pro lifetime licenses for free and when I installed this player I checked the memory dump and noticed that the same method to find the vuk can also be used for this software.
Finally I've tried it also for DVDfab9 and as expected it's also possible to get the VUK from it's memory dump
And as far as I can see the VUK can also be found with the trial version of DVDfab9 and as long as the 'main' features of DVDfab aren't used the 'real' trial period never starts and subsequently it will never expire

As FindVUK has still no interface it's settings are still controlled with the ini-file in the 'config' subdirectory - the ini-file got a few new parameters that I'd like to explain in short:

Section 'MediaPlayer' (and Section 'Passkey' - but this one has been in the ini-file since the first release)
  • LogFolder holds the default logdirectory for this applications - basically FindVUK reads the registry to get the currently configured logfolder so this key is only used in case the automatic detection fails (for example in case the registry key that is read at the moment get removed in an upcoming release or something like this...)
  • MainFile holds the path to the main exe file of the application - in case the path is empty it is also directly retrieved from the registry, so at the moment there's no need to specify it manually

Section 'DVDfab' (basically identical to the sections 'Passkey' and 'MediaPlayer' with one exception):
  • LogFile holds the complete logpath including the filename at the end - this is possible because for DVDfab also the filename can be specified in the settings, for MediaPlayer and Passkey only the folder can be set.

Section 'FindVUK'
  • PreferredApplication - this is basically the most important new parameter, as FindVUK now supports 3 different applications this is the way to decide which one should be used in case more than 1 of the supported applications is installed on the computer. 1=Passkey, 2=MediaPlayer, 3=DVDfab
  • IniVersion - makes no sense to change it manually, I use it to detect the current version of the ini file and automatically add new (or remove old) parameters

Personally I prefer using MediaPlayer and DVDfab9 against Passkey because for both new applications it's always possible to get access to the encrypted disc and this allows to validate the found VUK without the need to disable or exit an application (as it happens quite frequently with Passkey).

When using MediaPlayer you need to start the playback of the disc in MediaPlayer and as soon as the VUK has been found FindVUK will stop the playback and exit the MediaPlayer (but of course also start it again for the next disc) - this is necessary because MediaPlayer caches the result of it's internal analysis and so it wouldn't be possible to insert the same disc 2 times in a row (something that I'm doing quite often during my own tests ).

DVDfab9 doesn't cache any results - so it's not closed in the middle, simply insert one disc after the other without the need for any manual interaction

In case you run into troubles using FindVUK don't hesitate to post a reply here - and in case it's working perfectly for you I also appreciate positive feedback

Last edited by nalor; 18th September 2015 at 20:42.
nalor is offline   Reply With Quote