View Single Post
Old 24th November 2011, 09:43   #16  |  Link
Yellow_

Quote:
Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
Just to clarify, the "lossless" codecs are lossless in the same colorspace

It's not the codec author's fault if the other application treats it as RGB, incurring a Rec601/709 conversion

If you don't import into a regular NLE, and just use avisynth, you can keep the same colorspace.

Those lossless codecs (UT, huffyuv, lagarith etc... ) do accept full luma range - you're incurring a RGB conversion somewhere that is causing loss of superbrights/darks
I suggested in my first comment to the OP that its not always the case using so called lossless codecs were always lossless process.

I backed that up by providing where I see the squeeze, ffmpeg on the CLI a very frequent route for batch script and apps.

There is no conversion to RGB involved in that route there is however swscale intervention as the default options from h264 to huffyuv is from YV12 to YUY2.

My comments that followed about lossless codecs not holding full luma were clearly wrong but as a result of short temper with glib remarks, I accept that was in error.

But the fact still remains that transcoding to lossless via ffmpeg can easily result in error with no conversion to RGB being involved.

Going back to my initial point just because its called lossless not to assume it is, re glib remark its LOSSLESS therfore its LOSSLESS, lossless compression yes but not necessarily lossless process with default behaviour.

I don't think that initial point I made needed the gilb remarks that followed.
Yellow_ is offline   Reply With Quote