Thread: Diving video
View Single Post
Old 6th June 2018, 20:42   #55  |  Link
WorBry

Quote:
Originally Posted by tormento View Post
The fact is I will never use an app to correct video. There are too many factors, not least encoding, where you have no control over quality and I think is really far from x264.
Given the enthusiasm expressed for the Dive+ app and indication that you are signed-up for participation in the 'Underwater Video Color Correction' beta testing, it was reasonable to assume that you do use it. You stressed also that you are interested in an 'automated' solution, which this is. Not having tested the 'video' feature myself, I see then that, like the 'photo' component, there is no option to set the 'quality' of the encoded output, which I agree is disconcerting.

Still as a 'one-click' solution it would be interesting to see how well it performs under a range of underwater conditions/scenarios ('tropical' vs 'green' water, depth, visibility, intrinsic colorfulness of content/subject matter etc). If it does it indeed produce 'magical' results in cases more extreme than your sample, and without the aid of additional input parameters, one might speculate what algorithms it employs to achieve those outcomes and maybe try and replicate them.

Clearly in that one frame from your clip I tested it was doing more than just shifting the color temperature/tint, which is how most programs with 'Auto White Balance' features would treat it and likely fail. I had no success at all attempting to correct it with just the Color Temp/Tint controls in Resolve. It needed reconstruction of the red channel (in that particular case) and Dive+ achieved that to some degree - in my last attempt with Resolve, probably more. Applying the Channel Mixer to that end, I took the white strips on the fish as the (only) identifiable neutral reference. Fortunately that was in the foreground. Had the only reference been some fuzzy subject in the mid/far distance that was known to be white/grey I would have had more difficulty. As StainlessS pointed out:

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessS View Post
color changes also based on distance from camera, not just the depth, so the view into the gloom will totally screw up any histogram.
...and likewise RGB "picker" values, which I was going by to a large degree. So if Dive+ does indeed demonstrate magical results (and not just by luck in this case) on wider testing, how is it establishing neutral balance ? And is there similar 'diver-oriented' color correction software out there (with a higher level of control) or do most people use what tools are available in their favoured NLE, as it would appear:

https://www.tdisdi.com/natural-color...rwater-videos/

Last edited by WorBry; 7th June 2018 at 02:39.
WorBry is offline   Reply With Quote