View Single Post
Old 18th November 2019, 20:38   #550  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liisachan View Post
@Mosu
Speaking of privacy... In MKVToolNix GUI, the "Check online for available updates" option is enabled by default. There are many such tools today, but good old tools tend to ask, "Do you want to automatically check updates...?" before phoning home for the first time.
Yeah, sure, I could ask that question. But I don't care all that much for one simple reason: the update check transmits & reveals less information about the user than what they reveal when visiting the MKVToolNix web site with a regular browser as Qt's network library only transmits a very limited set of headers. Here's the full request:

Code:
GET /latest-release.xml.gz HTTP/1.1
Host: mkvtoolnix.download
Connection: Keep-Alive
Accept-Encoding: gzip, deflate
Accept-Language: en-US,*
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0
The same request will be made for "/releases.xml" for populating the list of changes.

Other things to consider:
  • The only person having access to the server and all of its data is me (apart from the people having physical access in the data center, of course, but then again that's true with all data centers).
  • I only log truncated portions of the source IP address: IPv4 addresses are truncated to their /24 network, IPv6 addresses to /56.
  • I only store logs for five days.
  • I do not ever share log files with anyone else.

I'm not opposed to having that question asked and would accept patches/merge requests that implement such functionality.

If I ever ask you to upload something, please use my file server.
Mosu is offline   Reply With Quote