View Single Post
Old 10th August 2018, 08:03   #24  |  Link
NikosD

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranceBB View Post
...After that, I moved to Intel; I've been an Intel customer ever since and I'm not planning to go back to AMD anytime soon.
It seems that you moved to Intel for good, I think you could actually work for them in a way.

Where to start from ?

Intel has 98% of server market when last year had 99+%

EPYC managed to gain almost 2% which is not that big, but even Intel's CEO (former) said that is struggling to keep AMD below 15% - 20% which is close to the biggest share AMD ever had during Opteron days - 25%

Intel's 28Cores processor costs 10.000$ while AMD's 32Cores processor costs around 4.000$

AMD supports 2 TB RAM per socket versus 768 GB RAM for Intel.

The memory advantage is huge for AMD.

Also Intel supports 48 PCIe lanes in single socket versus 128 PCIe lanes for AMD.

The PCIe lanes advantage is huge for AMD.

The spec_int and spec_float benchmarks which are more important for server market than Cinebench and passmark (!) favor once again AMD.

The second half of 2018 will bring AMD to 5% share at the end of the year for server market.

Server market is a difficult market and needs time to validate and trust new platforms.

Due to the broken Intel's 10nm process which will not probably be fixed even in latest 2019, AMD will have no rival in server market for 2019 when it will release its new EPYC 2 server CPU in Q1 at 7nm and 48C/96T initially and 64C/128T later.

It's a 28 cores vs 64 cores battle with no luck for Intel.

AMD, as former Intel's CEO has already said, will reach more than 20% at the end of 2019 in server market because big companies have already samples of EPYC 2 using 7nm in their hands and can see the difference in speed compared to ancient and slower Xeons in 14nm.

And the price is always much better for AMD.

Now regarding AVX512, there is simply no market for these instructions yet.

Intel and other reviewers are struggling to find benchmarks and real apps to leverage AVX512 but with no luck, besides one or maybe two.

You seem to skip HEDT category (high end desktop) which is our topic here for a reason.

On Monday August 13th, AMD will release officially Threadripper 2 or Threadripper 2000 series with 32C/64T and 4.0GHz all-core speed using air-cooling.

Intel simply doesn't have an answer to this category because its best CPU is just a 18C/36T and will stay this way till the end of the year and probably next year too.

On August 31th, AMD will release a new 16C/32 CPU and on October 12C/24T & 24C/48T

These AMD Threadripper processor have simply no rival from Intel and will dominate the HEDT category.

And of course AMD has the PCIe lanes advantage for Threadripper, exactly like EPYC vs Xeon.

Finally, regarding mainstream desktop CPUs, AMD has the core number advantage of 8C/16T vs 6C/12T for Intel which can only win at 1080p gaming for 6% (which doesn't really matter) and some light threaded apps.

All multithreaded-aware apps favor AMD which is the trend nowadays and of course 1440p or 4K gaming is exactly the same between Intel and AMD.

For the next year Ryzen 2 is coming based on the same Zen 2 architecture using 7nm like EPYC 2 and rumors already are talking about 12 cores or even 16 cores for mainstream desktop.

I see no good future for Intel at least for 2019, like most people actually.
NikosD is offline   Reply With Quote