View Single Post
Old 28th March 2020, 18:56   #671  |  Link
Liisachan
李姗倩 Lǐ Shān Qiàn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosu View Post
Nice, you found one last place where I forgot to use the "show platform-dependent slashes" function. I'll fix that. Yes, it is completely cosmetic as Windows supports both backward and forward slashes as path separators (both in cmd.exe and all of its "open a file" functions).
Still, it's Windows after all; backslashes are safer. For example, if you have mkvmerge in a folder "cd" something like this could happen.
Code:
R:\>cd\mkvmerge.exe --version
mkvmerge v44.0.0 ('Domino') 32-bit

R:\>cd/mkvmerge.exe --version
The system cannot find the path specified.
Also, though irrelevant to the current version of mkvmerge, XP is less tolerant of foward slashes.
Code:
C:\>mkvtoolnix\mkvmerge.exe --version
mkvmerge v20.0.0 ('I Am The Sun') 32-bit

C:\>mkvtoolnix/mkvmerge.exe --version
'mkvtoolnix' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tormento View Post
I am encoding lot of material with local dialects and I can't find them in ISO 639-2. I saw they are present in ISO 639-3, could you please add it as optional in the next nightly or major release?
If the language name is uncoded in ISO 639-2, perhaps something like this is the best one could do currently:
mkvmerge -o foo.mkv foo.264 --language 0:mis --track-name 0:"Venetian [vec]" foo.ogg

mis = “Uncoded languages” is not supported by GUI, not in the Available list, but mkvmerge does accept it. MPC shows whatever you type as track-name e.g. "Venetian".

It would be ideal if not only ISO 639-3 but the language subtag registry were supported so that e.g. simplified Chinese vs. traditional Chinese subs, or Mandarin vs. Cantonese dubs could be consistently tagged and auto-selected by players. Although the Matroska specs says one can (at least) use suffixes like -cn, -tw, -hk, they are not supported in reality; even if supported, they are not necessarily convenient (e.g. when talking about writing systems, not about countries).

Note: even if the language code is not in the GUI listbox by default, mkvmerge accepts any language codes in mkvmerge --list-languages > lang.txt.
*Example 1:
mkvmerge -o foo.mkv foo.264 --language 0:nap foo.ogg
MPC-HC & MPC-BE both show "Napolitan" for this track.

*Example2:
mkvmerge -o foo.mkv foo.264 --language 0:nap foo.ogg --language 0:mul --track-name 0:"Japanese karaoke with English translation" foo.ass
For this subtitle track, MPC-BE shows "Multilingual, Japanese karaoke with English translation".
Liisachan is offline   Reply With Quote