View Single Post
Old 14th December 2015, 20:05   #34645  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

I'm not sure why you keep trying to limit the "peak brightness selector" to specific conditions under which it might work or might not work. There is no such limit. And as I said, the display contrast got nothing to do with it.

HDR content that is mastered on e.g. a 4000 nits display should ideally be displayed on a 4000 nits display. If your display cannot do 4000 nits then madVR has to compress the highlights, otherwise the image would be much too dim overall. The difference between 1200 nits and 400 nits in the madVR "peak luminance" option is how much compression madVR applies to the luminance channel. The dimmer your display is the more compression madVR has to apply to make the image bright enough overall.

Why don't you simply download some HDR content and try different settings for that madVR option and see which works best for you? I think for most people with today's display technology, the default setting of 600 nits should work well. If the image is too dim/dull for your taste, try 400 nits. If the image is too bright, try 900 nits or higher.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote