Thread: Avisynth+
View Single Post
Old 11th January 2017, 23:09   #2840  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

Many VfW compatible tools don't support planar RGB. They can't handle it. It was not supported by Microsoft in a blank installation of most Windows versions (I am not even sure if there are any supporting VfW codecs as of today). I would even believe, if the semi-pro home users did not insist in it, hardly any professional software company would have cared about it... So, for ancient compatibility's sake, AviSynth still must be able to output packed RGB. The most compatible way of displaying images in Windows, DIB = "Device Independent Bitmaps", was invented with packed-pixel RGB and palette formats only, AFAIK. Planar RGB is a rather recent invention, I believe...

YUV based formats are useful for real-life content, whereas RGB based formats are common for computer generated content. Just imagine screen recordings of a game or an application's user interface. Recording that in a YUV based format, especially with the most common 4:2:0 chroma subsampling and TV range, would limit the color saturation and chrominance resolution, blurring and fading 1-pixel wide colored lines.

New German Gleitz board
MediaFire: x264 | x265 | VPx | AOM | Xvid